How Confusing is the Cellphone?
With the innovation and advancement of technology, a simple mobile phone has taken a lot of forms, names, and models. From the modest, thick, and antenna-oriented wireless phones, today’s gadgets now have specifications that go far and beyond their old days, and are quickly and widely known as cellular phones, wait… smartphones? A bit confusing isn’t it? For the tech savvy it may only take a few seconds to recognize which is which. But on a standard consumer perception, it’s really hard to determine the difference, unless you literally dive into the vast pool of information just to solve the conflict. Well, there are really no conflicts between these two electronics. Both are good at their respective areas, but alterations from functionality, purposes and features are inevitable.
Now in order to answer this conflict between what’s modern and what’s functional, you must first learn the definition and history of a cellphone. In a nutshell, the cellphone is made so that we can communicate with each other anywhere we’re in. The most accurate definition of the device is a telephone and a pager in your pocket. Good for receiving calls and messages. Now with this so called advancement in tech, the cellphone grew into a device that does more than simply take calls and write texts. The smartphone, the cellphone’s latest iteration, is now described as a computer in your pocket. Now while the smartphones are dominating the mobile market, there are still more people who rely on the easy use of the older cellphones, now named basic phones. Whatever type of phone you choose, you’re assured that the most important aspect of the device, its calls and messages, are still intact.
- Shape and Size: Mobiles have similar widths and lengths and are thicker. Also, most of the standard phones have smaller screen.
- Design and Durability: A Basic phone is the epitome of robustness. There are models that are designed specifically to be dustproof or waterproof.
- Operating System(OS): Operating systems for basic phones usually are very non-descript, and rarely affect the purchasing decision. Most OS are offering Bluetooth, music player, cameras and voice recorder.
- Functionality: Most basic phones offer texting and calling only, some may have internet capabilities but if there are, things are very limited due to the small screen and small hardware.
Standard parts of Basic Phones
- Shape and Size: Smart phones have larger widths and their bodies are thinner. They also have larger screen interface measuring roughly 4-6 inches.
- Design and Durability: Smartphones are less durable mainly because of their large touchscreen. But technology is already making its move into improving these gadgets’ durability.
- Operating System(OS): The most popular OS are Android, iOS, Blackberry and Windows. iOS are specific to Apple(as part of the company’s branding), while Android are compatible with different manufacturers such as HTC and Samsung.
- Functionality: Smartphones have enhanced features. Besides calling and texting, these gadgets have a big impact on overall usability because of a number of features brought by their distinct OS. Also, internet connections are a pivotal aspect of smartphones that may also include 3G or 4G technology for internet connectivity.
Welcome to the new world of Smartphones
The Tablet Twin
Differentiating Tablets and Phablets is really confusing, so much that you can’t actually find one difference outside of their names. The name Phablet, a combination of the word phone and tablet, pretty much takes the overall look of the tablet PC, that without diving into the individual specs, you’d mistake one from another. The thing is that the distinguishing factor goes more than simple design. This is one probable reason why the phablet, despite it being a new form of technology, is often left out than its more known counterpart.
Now if you do dive into the individual specs of the phablet, you’d know that these devices are simply tablets with calling capabilities… or much larger smartphones. Defining the phablet’s full features pretty much entails combining the handiness and main capabilities of a mobile phone, and the form and specs of a tablet. Different manufacturers also answered the call to distinguish these devices, with phablets getting categorized as 7-inch phones with tablet capabilities. Now with all the recent developments in how mobile groups develop their new devices, the phablet’s definition may get lost in the shuffle. Overall, it is best to call every phone and tablet as a mobile device, good to use on the go.
- Screen Size of Tablet Computer: Most are measuring 7.5” to 10”.
- Communication: Tablets have calling features just like that of a smartphone but its size makes it awkward and inconvenient to hold to the ear.
- Performance: The same features than that of a smartphone. But its performance is affected mainly by having a larger screen since it consumes more battery.
- Audience: Tablets are much preferable for business and work-oriented people that need the use of multimedia resources.
Tablet PC for home and office
- Screen Size: Those of the phablets are relatively smaller but a bit larger to that of smartphones measuring 5” to 7” respectively.
- Communication: Tablet Phone are built and designed for people who want to have a tablet and smartphone all in one. Convenient to use as a phone while still having the same connectivity of a tablet.
- Performance: Phablets technically have higher RAM than the tablets. The better battery performance of these gadgets are a direct result of having more powerful processors.
- Audience: Phablets’ acceptance is vastly seen among the relatively younger generation. For entertainment based apps and the use of wi-fi services on a daily basis.